Topic #1: Defeating Unconscious Bias: Your Workplace Advantage
What is the Purpose of This Program?
To provide the skills needed to reduce unconscious bias in the workplace.
How Do Biases Damage Your Workplace?
- Biases reduce the ability to make successful hiring and promotion decisions.
- Biases discourage people of diverse backgrounds from contributing ideas and taking professional chances.
- Biases trigger the loss of valuable employees.
- Biases minimize innovation and creativity
- Biases interfere with the development of productive work teams.
Can Unconscious Biases Be Defeated?
Research has shown that all but the most deeply-rooted biases can be defeated by employing tangible techniques.
What Principles Shape Sondra’s Presentations?
- Carefully honed techniques to diffuse participant resistance and gain audience buy-in on the topic
- Emphasis on immediately applicable skills rather than blame or guilt.
- An emphasis on personal responsibility to defeat bias
- Practical skills presented with respectful humor and audience involvement.
What Does the Program Cover?
- The definition of “bias” and explanation of how it functions to distort our perceptions
- Examples of how conscious and unconscious bias impacts our ability to lead and work effectively
- Two devices for becoming aware of one’s unconscious biases
- Techniques for using the power of the pause to manage bias
- Strategies for using logic to weaken the foundation of bias
- Strategies for reducing both conscious and implicit bias by identifying the Common Ground we share with colleagues, customers, and clients
- Techniques for defeating bias by “Acting as If…” it doesn’t exist.
Can This Program Be Customized?:
Yes, Dr. Thiederman will work closely with you to assure that the presentation speaks directly to your needs and goals.
Support Material for Participants:
It is suggested you purchase Dr. Thiederman’s book, 3 Keys to Defeating Unconscious Bias, to distribute to participants in this program.
Where Can I Read More About Unconscious Bias?
Click here to read what Sondra has written on the topic of defeating unconscious bias.
Please contact us here or call 619-583-4478 to find out how Sondra might develop a presentation that is perfect for your event or webinar.