WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING:
A Welcome to Sondra's Website
Welcome to my website. Have a look around and learn about my 25-plus years of experience battling the workplace problems created by unconscious bias. Get a feel for my practical, non-blaming approach and get ideas about how my virtual programs can help you and your team defeat the biases that so dramatically compromise our inclusion and diversity challenges. Believe it or not, biases can be overcome!
My passion for unconscious bias began in college almost 30 years ago and led me to earn a Ph.D. in Cross-Cultural Studies from UCLA. Since then, I’ve shared my knowledge with hundreds of clients in the public, private, and non-profit sectors.
Through the years, I have been blessed with many opportunities to author several books and dozens of articles/blog posts on this vital topic. At every step of my fascinating and never-ending journey, I have continued to learn, grow, and ultimately provide even more value to my clients.
My Mission and PurposeMy purpose has always been to meet each client’s individual goals by providing practical, immediately applicable tools for defeating unconscious bias. Each interactive virtual program is strategically designed to:
- Diffuse learner resistance
- Encourage engagement
- Motivate change
- Provide immediately applicable tools
My Guiding Principles
Over the course of my career, I have developed seven guiding principles that shape and inform my work, thinking, and approach.
There’s a lot we can do to both manage and defeat unconscious bias. There was a time when most believed unconscious bias could not be defeated, but recent research suggests that’s not always true.
Having a bias does not make you a bad person. We all have biases; it’s what we do about them that matters.
Fortunately, immediately applicable techniques exist for becoming aware of all but the most deeply buried biases. It’s a matter of alertness, commitment, and habit.
Identifying what we have in common, while at the same time valuing diversity, is a key strategy for defeating unconscious bias.
An important element in the fight against unconscious bias is respectful and courageous dialogue.
Learner participation along with respectful humor are key tools to achieving the engagement that results in real change.
The tools for defeating unconscious bias are tangible and immediately applicable. Unconscious biases may seem mysterious and scary, but the solutions to overcoming them are not.
How Will Defeating Bias Benefit Your Organization?
Unconscious bias not only short-circuits the ability to create an inclusive workplace, but it also compromises business success. By defeating unconscious bias, your organization can:
- Increase productivity and employee engagement
- Successfully recruit and retain top talent
- Amplify and foster innovation and creativity
- Enhance your reputation as an inclusive organization that honors socially-responsible business practices
Why is My Approach Effective?
- My welcoming “no blame” messaging minimizes resistance, increases learner retention, and encourages real-life application of the lessons learned. It’s not about blame; it’s about results and responsibility.
- With my respectful yet light-hearted presentation style, I take a complex human principle and convert it into practical steps in a way that keeps participants engaged and learning.
- The material I provide is neither theoretical nor academic. It is practical, specific, and designed to make an immediate difference in your workplace.
- I emphasize that biases don’t make us bad people. It’s what we do about them that matters.
Why Are My Programs a Great Choice for Your Organization?
|Cost Effective Fee Structure: My virtual fees are substantially lower than in-person offerings. In addition, virtual offerings negate the need for travel expenses. Let’s talk about which is right for you and your organization.
|Interactive Learning Strategies: Learner participation is carefully paced to sustain focus and interest.
|Customization: My presentations are tailored to your organization’s unique DEI challenges and goals.
Defeat Unconscious Biases
Let’s set up a time to talk and explore your specific diversity and inclusion objectives and how a
virtual program on unconscious bias can help achieve those goals.