Provide your team members with the skills needed to identify and defeat the biases that compromise their ability to work and lead effectively.
THE PRICE WE PAY FOR BIAS
Unconscious biases wreak havoc on any organization’s ability to reach its goals:
- Biases reduce the ability to make successful hiring and promotion decisions.
- Biases compromise our efforts to build truly inclusive workforces.
- Biases discourage people of diverse backgrounds from contributing ideas and taking professional chances.
- Biases trigger the loss of valuable employees.
- Biases minimize innovation and creativity.
- Biases interfere with the development of productive work teams.
The following will be customized to meet your needs and program format. Points are made through a mixture of audience interaction, commentary, respectful humor, anecdotes, and client-specific examples.
- The definition of “bias” and an interactive discussion of how biases work in the brain to distort our perceptions of others
- Examples of how unconscious bias negatively impacts your organization, the object of the bias, and the holder of the bias
- Two interactive techniques for becoming aware of and identifying unconscious bias
- Questions to ask to distinguish a bias from a flexible generality
- Three research based and immediately-applicable tools for defeating unconscious bias
THE PRINCIPLES THAT SHAPE THIS PRESENTATION
- True learning is always enhanced by participant interaction.
- Anecdotes, examples, and a light-hearted approach are powerful tools for reducing resistance, overcoming discomfort, and enhancing retention of the material.
- Although all human beings have biases to some degree, biases do not make us bad people. It is what we do about them that matters.
- Blame and guilt are poor tools for bringing about change.
- It is possible to become aware of many of our biases through skill, alertness, commitment, and habit.
- Most biases can be defeated through the consistent application of specific skills and tools.
SUPPORT MATERIALS FOR YOUR PARTICIPANTS
Sondra’s book, 3 Keys to Defeating Unconscious Bias, is a natural companion to this presentation. Purchase for all attendees is recommended. Discount rates are available.
This program can be customized to meet your needs. Sondra will work closely with you to assure that the presentation speaks directly to your audience and to your goals.